San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative
Discover the Power of Shared Housing: Your Journey, Your Choices, Your Home.
Townspeople believes you should be the driving force in your housing journey. That’s why we formed the San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative (SDSHC) in coordination with Adjoin and with support from Funders Together to End Homelessness San Diego and the giv4 homelessness fund. This initiative disrupts the traditional homeless assistance system. It puts you in the driver’s seat, emphasizing your choice to secure a stable home.
Who Is Eligible to Participate
To be eligible for participation in the San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Interest in Shared Housing. Our collaborative is tailored for individuals actively interested in shared housing arrangements.
- Experiencing Homelessness. We are here to provide a helping hand to those who are currently experiencing homelessness. Whether living on the streets, in shelters, or couch surfing, we are committed to assisting you in your journey toward stable housing.
- Sufficient Income. To ensure the success of shared housing arrangements, participants must have sufficient income from any source that allows them to cover their portion of housing expenses. This income can come from employment, government assistance, social security, housing vouchers, or other reliable sources. Please note there are no housing subsidies provided through the San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative.
How It Works
Finding safe and affordable housing should be a collective effort. Together with property owners and service providers, the SDSHC aims to connect individuals experiencing homelessness with compatible housemates and rental housing through an online matching platform. Specific steps include:
- Portal Access. Email us at [email protected] to gain access to the online portal. Please note an email address is needed to register in the portal.
- Housemate Search. Using the shared housing online portal, you can identify potential housemates based on shared interests, lifestyles, and compatibility criteria, helping to ensure a harmonious and supportive living environment.
- Introduction and Selection. Facilitated introductions allow you to meet and get to know potential housemates. Together, you can decide if the living arrangement feels suitable for everyone involved.
- Housing Location and Placement. Searching for your shared home begins after selecting your preferred housemate(s). We will make every effort to have team members available to help secure a shared housing option that meets your collective needs and aligns with your individual goals. But you have the ultimate say in selecting your
housemates, living arrangements, and the community you want to be a part of.
- Housing Stabilization. To help you navigate the complexities of shared living, we provide guidance and resources, including communication strategies, conflict resolution skills, and community-building opportunities.
Why It Matters
Shared housing goes beyond providing a roof over your head – it creates a supportive community where you can thrive and find a sense of belonging. Here are some of the benefits you can expect when you participate in shared housing:
- Affordability. Shared housing reduces the financial burden of renting a place alone. By splitting expenses, such as rent and utilities, with your housemates, you can access more affordable housing options, freeing up resources for other important needs and goals.
- Safety and Security. Shared housing provides an added layer of security as you have others around you, creating a sense of safety, especially in unfamiliar or uncertain situations. Knowing that a supportive network is looking out for one another offers peace of mind.
- Emotional Support. Shared housing presents a built-in support system that can make a tremendous difference. Living with like-minded individuals who understand your journey provides a sense of companionship, reduces isolation, and offers emotional support during challenging and triumphant times.
For more information about the San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative or to get started, don’t hesitate to contact our team at [email protected]. We are here to answer your questions and provide the support you need to end your homelessness on your terms.
If you are a property owner interested in renting your multibedroom units with us, please get in touch with us via email at [email protected]
If you are a service provider interested in joining the San Diego Shared Housing Collaborative, don’t hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected].
2047 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92104
Days & Hours:
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. PT
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (619) 295-8802
Fax: (619) 314-8040